Unfortunately, the project did not succeed, as we didn't win the auction.
This has definitely been a great learning experience to figure out how to act and organise, who to trust and no trust. We've had a few people who tried to screw us over, and unfortunately there was a lot of fuss about the payment. Going from people that wanted to steal PayPal accounts to get a slot, to people who just said they would participate, even though they just wanted to hijack our messages... to get a slot themselves. We'll definitely improve on that next time.
Everyone has been refunded, and the minecraftservers.org account we planned to use has been returned. Keep an eye out I'm planning to do this another time (With a more complex timeframe), whenever it looks beneficial!
Thanks to those who participated and supported the project!
I believe that we're all well aware of the crazy prices on minecraftservers.org auctions, and I would like to propose a solution that might be beneficial for all of us. Follow along as I will be explaining the most important aspects below.
The idea is to win the first spot on the next minecraftservers.org "Sponsored servers" list. Its auction will end on December the 21th (Exactly 3 days from posting this). Each "slot" stands for 14 days of renting. These 2 weeks thus be split up into 14 different days, for 14 different servers. Each server will get to rent 1 full day on a first come, first serve basis. It shouldn't be a problem if you rent on Tuesday or Sunday... It's Christmas break.
How does it work?
We need 14 servers to participate who will all invest into the slot. However there are a few rules that are required for participation, I'd like to set a minimum "bid per server". This minimum bid will be set to 300$. Multiply that amount with 14, and we will reach a grand total of 4200$ on the slot. You are allowed to bring in more than the required amount in order to help us reach the first slot. However, this doesn't mean that you will be getting more days (which I will further explain below).
Everyone that participates will be added to a Google Docs document. You may find the link to this below this post. Once you've found the day that you like, you can either choose to pay now, or at least 1 day before the auction ends. This ensures that we'll have the required balance. If you fail to pay 1 day in advance, you will be removed from the participants list, and will not be eligible to participate in the possible future. You can cancel at any time before that deadline of 1 day.
The rules & guidelines
In order to let this go smoothly, I'm setting up a few rules.
- Your server must be at least 1 month old: I find it fair to let people grow that are serious about their server, and aren't putting their server out for a week, trying to make money.
- Your server must have a player base (during peak times) of at least 10 players: Not only are you doing something wrong if you don't reach that amount, the slot will not be effective if you don't have an "okay" amount of players.
- You cannot rent more than one day: In order to give everyone a fair chance of growing their player base, you cannot rent more than one full day. You are allowed to, however, support the project and invest more (In order to, ultimately, win the first slot).
- All payments will go through me: I appreciate anyone's help, but to let this go smoothly and (hopefully) without any major problems, I will be dealing with the payments and scheduling alone.
- All payments will go through friends & family: Yes, I understand that this is annoying, but I believe everyone can vouch for me if it comes to financing. If you step out at least 1 day before the auction starts, you will be refunded. If for any reason this project fails, you will be refunded.
- You must not be on a valid scam report: I believe that this doesn't require any further explanation...
If you're looking to grow your playerbase for normal prices (not 80$/hour), this is the way to go. But even if you're not interested, you can still help. We'd like to reach out to (larger) server owners and ask them to not go over our minimum budget (~4200$). This is an opportunity for all of us, so we'd appreciate it if you don't try to destroy its purpose (which is growing all of our player bases).
How do I participate?
You can participate by adding me on Skype ay ijesse131. Once you've added me, we'll discuss a few items including server information, proof that you match the requirements, scheduling and the payment. You will then be added to our group chat.
We are aiming to get 14 different servers to participate (Which I deeply hope, won't be that difficult). Even if we don't reach that amount, we will still do a take on getting the slot (If possible, of course). The remaining days will then go on a first come first serve basis (Which you can keep up with through the Google Docs).
Google Docs: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14dJjGdiS5JFX8t0B3Ej9mfeJZkIRg5tndYyAoBG8Ius
Interested to see how this goes!