How Mojang treats server owners

Status
This thread has been locked.

Maulss

Java Programmer
Banned
Reactions
Resources
Hey, this is probably not the correct community to discuss stuff like this, but I figured we're allowed freedom of speech, right?

Anyway, I came across this thread on the Spigot forums which angers me quite a bit, primarily because of how differently Mojang can treat different people or groups of people (sometimes in order to keep a positive image about themselves).

Jeff, the author of the thread replied to Marc, one of the staff of the Mojang team about how he's in a similar situation as the homeless person with a video proof, yet Marc decided to block him and stay away from matters he (and some others from Mojang) have caused themselves.

I'm here to spread the word, helping people realize what Mojang actually thinks of server owners, how they are all "greedy for money", even when some of their lives depend on the income from Minecraft servers.

Thanks for your time.

Banned forever. Reason: Account Compromised
ReliableSite: Dedicated Servers

kolbykskk

Premium
Premium
Reactions
Resources
Everybody who reads this should tweet both this link and the Spigot link with a Mojang staff member tagged in it.

Last edited:

Maulss

Java Programmer
Banned
Reactions
Resources
Everybody who reads this should tweet both this link and the Spigot link to all Mojang staff. Everyone should know about this.
Yeah, I've talked with Jeff in PM. He's one of those people who prioritizes others who are in less need of help than he does himself. On top of that, he donates $20 as a monthly subscription to Spigot. He really doesn't deserve to be in such a place.

ObbyCow77

Reactions
Resources
This is depressing :l This guy is trying to be respectful to mojang and their EULA but now is making no money off of it and seems like a very nice dude. This EULA thing needs to stop because it is not actually doing anything yet people are trying to be respectful and follow it and are now making very little money. :(

pixelbat

ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Banned
Reactions
Resources
Uhh. I know my opinion probably isn't going to be popular about this, but I feel Marc is in the right. Legitplay replying the way he did, and tagging someone not even related to Mojang or the issues at hand is stupid. If he has a problem with Marc or Mojang he should address them directly, not turn a totally separate tweet chain into a pity party about himself, narcissistic much.

The video did not persuade either. I got the whole "pity me" vibe out of it. We get it, not everyone is rolling in money when it comes to running a server. I'm pretty sure Mojang understands this too, but is this Mojang's fault? I feel like this is an entitlement problem. People feel they are owed or entitled to something here. Like Mojang is supposed to have 2 sets of rules. Idk, I'm not happy about the changes either, but I understand why they were made, and I don't blame Mojang or feel spiteful towards them over it. If anything I have disdain towards the exploitative servers that brought about this quagmire.

His video brings up points that are not even remotely Mojang's fault. Like his house burning down or being handicap. How and why is this relevant to the whole EULA debacle? Yes, tragic, but not Mojang's fault or responsibility. Emotions can be a very powerful tool in courting support to your cause, and that's exactly what's happening. This is borderline manipulative to inject emotions in such an irresponsible way to garnish sympathy. He said the things he did because he knows the response it will generate. PsyOps 101 shit right here. Tone and demeanor is so spiteful too. Honestly, I don't feel much sympathy for him, because of how he's acting, and the way he's going about it.

The infallible truth about life is no one is more responsible for you, than yourself. Personal responsibility is a fading quality. You can blame Mojang for having a shitty EULA, but you can't blame them for all your problems.

...and just because he lives in a trailer, that's no reason for it to look like a pigsty. Jesus, the floor is not the trash can.

Banned forever. Reason: Excessive violations of rules

kolbykskk

Premium
Premium
Reactions
Resources
Uhh. I know my opinion probably isn't going to be popular about this, but I feel Marc is in the right. Legitplay replying the way he did, and tagging someone not even related to Mojang or the issues at hand is stupid. If he has a problem with Marc or Mojang he should address them directly, not turn a totally separate tweet chain into a pity party about himself, narcissistic much.

The video did not persuade either. I got the whole "pity me" vibe out of it. We get it, not everyone is rolling in money when it comes to running a server. I'm pretty sure Mojang understands this too, but is this Mojang's fault? I feel like this is an entitlement problem. People feel they are owed or entitled to something here. Like Mojang is supposed to have 2 sets of rules. Idk, I'm not happy about the changes either, but I understand why they were made, and I don't blame Mojang or feel spiteful towards them over it. If anything I have disdain towards the exploitative servers that brought about this quagmire.

His video brings up points that are not even remotely Mojang's fault. Like his house burning down or being handicap. How and why is this relevant to the whole EULA debacle? Yes, tragic, but not Mojang's fault or responsibility. Emotions can be a very powerful tool in courting support to your cause, and that's exactly what's happening. This is borderline manipulative to inject emotions in such an irresponsible way to garnish sympathy. He said the things he did because he knows the response it will generate. PsyOps 101 shit right here. Tone and demeanor is so spiteful too. Honestly, I don't feel much sympathy for him, because of how he's acting, and the way he's going about it.

The infallible truth about life is no one is more responsible for you, than yourself. Personal responsibility is a fading quality. You can blame Mojang for having a shitty EULA, but you can't blame them for all your problems.

...and just because he lives in a trailer, that's no reason for it to look like a pigsty. Jesus, the floor is not the trash can.
You have quite the vocabulary.

ObbyCow77

Reactions
Resources

That is true, I retract my first statement. Mojang did do a terrible job with the EULA, but a lot of stuff is not their fault and he is tagging the wrong guy.

Maulss

Java Programmer
Banned
Reactions
Resources

You seemed to only talk about the negative perspectives of this topic. Try looking at the other side, and then comparing both.

I think you missed a large portion of the argument. He is not trying to push himself out of the crowd and complain to Mojang about his problems. It's not entirely Marc's fault, but it seems like he was in charge of taking care of the homeless and handicapped woman. Marc was happy about raising $13k+ to help her, but he forgot how the Minecraft server industry allows Jeff to receive at least a tiny bit of income. It's not mentioned in the Twitter argument, but Mojang have basically introduced the new EULA to persuade the "greedy server owners" to host Minecraft servers only for profits, which is what they said earlier. Jeff has his Minecraft server as his primary source of income. Mojang told server owners to take real jobs, but Jeff can't take a real job because he's handicapped. It gets even worse when the guy's house burns down and the rest of his family are having health problems.

Jeff (and many others, including me) became anxious in this topic because after trying to tell Marc that the Minecraft server industry is where Jeff's primary source of income is coming from with a video and an open letter to Mojang provided, Marc decided to block Jeff.

ObbyCow77

Reactions
Resources
You seemed to only talk about the negative perspectives of this topic. Try looking at the other side, and then comparing both.

I think you missed a large portion of the argument. He is not trying to push himself out of the crowd and complain to Mojang about his problems. It's not entirely Marc's fault, but it seems like he was in charge of taking care of the homeless and handicapped woman. Marc was happy about raising $13k+ to help her, but he forgot how the Minecraft server industry allows Jeff to receive at least a tiny bit of income. It's not mentioned in the Twitter argument, but Mojang have basically introduced the new EULA to persuade the "greedy server owners" to host Minecraft servers only for profits, which is what they said earlier. Jeff has his Minecraft server as his primary source of income. Mojang told server owners to take real jobs, but Jeff can't take a real job because he's handicapped. It gets even worse when the guy's house burns down and the rest of his family are having health problems.

Jeff (and many others, including me) became anxious in this topic because after trying to tell Marc that the Minecraft server industry is where Jeff's primary source of income is coming from with a video and an open letter to Mojang provided, Marc decided to block Jeff.
You guys are making it so hard for me to choose a side :l I agree with both of you guys, but I am now leaning towards your opinion Maulss, because even though it sort-of was a "sob-story" there was a right for him to talk like that and be angry of the way mojang is treating server owners.

pixelbat

ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Banned
Reactions
Resources

Marc blocked him because he was being rude in the way he presented himself. If I have an issue with my hamburger at McDonalds, I don't butt in line when some other person is ordering to bitch about my problem and act like I am owed something right then and there. That's essentially what he did by bringing his issues up in a totally separate tweet chain that had nothing to do with the EULA, or himself.

Subsequently everything that has followed has this vibe of "feel sorry for me". He could have addressed Marc directly, and maybe with some tact. And again, his issues of house burning down, handicap, family issues, what have you... as sad and tragic as it may be, it's not Mojang's fault or responsibility, and Mojang shouldn't be guilt tripped into something because of someones sob story. He's using emotions to make people take his side. How do we know everything he has even said is 100% genuine? He said insurance money only pays 25-50% deprecation, which is complete BS, unless it was an issue of negligence, then they probably would have got nothing. My house burned down in 1995, and it was fully rebuilt by the insurance company. Where is his computer equipment and stuff in that camper? Why does he have a video that is like 5 months old that has house in the background, and he goes over an off the grid power array he set up? Everyone has problems, but it's a thick case of entitlement if you feel like Mojang owes you something because you can't make ends meet unless your Minecraft server is profitable. Imagine if Mojang didn't exist and this game never existed, what would people be doing? Who would they be blaming?

Maulss

Java Programmer
Banned
Reactions
Resources
Marc blocked him because he was being rude in the way he presented himself. If I have an issue with my hamburger at McDonalds, I don't butt in line when some other person is ordering to bitch about my problem and act like I am owed something right then and there. That's essentially what he did by bringing his issues up in a totally separate tweet chain that had nothing to do with the EULA, or himself.

Subsequently everything that has followed has this vibe of "feel sorry for me". He could have addressed Marc directly, and maybe with some tact. And again, his issues of house burning down, handicap, family issues, what have you... as sad and tragic as it may be, it's not Mojang's fault or responsibility, and Mojang shouldn't be guilt tripped into something because of someones sob story. He's using emotions to make people take his side. How do we know everything he has even said is 100% genuine? He said insurance money only pays 25-50% deprecation, which is complete BS, unless it was an issue of negligence, then they probably would have got nothing. My house burned down in 1995, and it was fully rebuilt by the insurance company. Where is his computer equipment and stuff in that camper? Why does he have a video that is like 5 months old that has house in the background, and he goes over an off the grid power array he set up? Everyone has problems, but it's a thick case of entitlement if you feel like Mojang owes you something because you can't make ends meet unless your Minecraft server is profitable. Imagine if Mojang didn't exist and this game never existed, what would people be doing? Who would they be blaming?
First of all, he did use emotions in his argument that could turn people over to his side, but people who use their brains would take their own side as argument with their own opinion, so this shouldn't matter.

There is no reason why Jeff should have exclaimed so negatively at Marc. In fact, Marc blocked Jeff for being rude, so he likely hasn't even seen the video until later. And even though Mojang did nothing wrong specifically to Jeff, he's outraged because Mojang are attempting to shine good to everyone else, by helping a woman so much. As a matter of fact, Jeff is in pretty much the same position as she is, and to help him with his situation the EULA was the answer to his problem. He has mentioned multiple times that he's not looking for attention, nor is he attempting to bash Marc in any way. Instead, he's attempting to give another reason how the EULA can impact on many people.

Who said he's blaming Mojang? For what? How can you blame the game makers of a game for something unrelated that happened in his life? He's not blaming anyone. As he stated himself, he's trying to prevent others who are in the same position as Jeff, but probably with a lesser voice, get stuck in the same hole as him.

There are such owners who Mojang call "greedy server owners", but that doesn't mean that every owner is like that. The Minecraft server industry helped him find a way to climb back up the stairs when his house burned down, then quickly stabbed him in the back and threw him to the bottom of the stairs when Mojang implemented the EULA.

And I say again, Jeff is not outraged at Mojang for something that happened in his own life, but for (a) attempting to make a good image of themselves by helping a woman, whereas Jeff is in the same situation, who can fix his own problems if the EULA was not enforced and (b) Marc blocking Jeff after trying to help him think about how Mojang are ruining the game. Marc is unrelated, and the Minecraft community puts all the pressure on Marc because he's the main way to get the answers out of Mojang, or someone from the Mojang team to complain to, even though he has no power in the company other than talk to people on Twitter.

pixelbat

ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Banned
Reactions
Resources
First of all, he did use emotions in his argument that could turn people over to his side, but people who use their brains would take their own side as argument with their own opinion, so this shouldn't matter.

There is no reason why Jeff should have exclaimed so negatively at Marc. In fact, Marc blocked Jeff for being rude, so he likely hasn't even seen the video until later. And even though Mojang did nothing wrong specifically to Jeff, he's outraged because Mojang are attempting to shine good to everyone else, by helping a woman so much. As a matter of fact, Jeff is in pretty much the same position as she is, and to help him with his situation the EULA was the answer to his problem. He has mentioned multiple times that he's not looking for attention, nor is he attempting to bash Marc in any way. Instead, he's attempting to give another reason how the EULA can impact on many people.

Who said he's blaming Mojang? For what? How can you blame the game makers of a game for something unrelated that happened in his life? He's not blaming anyone. As he stated himself, he's trying to prevent others who are in the same position as Jeff, but probably with a lesser voice, get stuck in the same hole as him.

There are such owners who Mojang call "greedy server owners", but that doesn't mean that every owner is like that. The Minecraft server industry helped him find a way to climb back up the stairs when his house burned down, then quickly stabbed him in the back and threw him to the bottom of the stairs when Mojang implemented the EULA.

And I say again, Jeff is not outraged at Mojang for something that happened in his own life, but for (a) attempting to make a good image of themselves by helping a woman, whereas Jeff is in the same situation, who can fix his own problems if the EULA was not enforced and (b) Marc blocking Jeff after trying to help him think about how Mojang are ruining the game. Marc is unrelated, and the Minecraft community puts all the pressure on Marc because he's the main way to get the answers out of Mojang, or someone from the Mojang team to complain to, even though he has no power in the company other than talk to people on Twitter.

You pretty much contradicted yourself a number of times here. I don't really have the interest to retort your points though. My opinion stands, and I'm sure yours does too. Let's agree to disagree (stupidest idiom ever).

Maulss

Java Programmer
Banned
Reactions
Resources
You pretty much contradicted yourself a number of times here. I don't really have the interest to retort your points though. My opinion stands, and I'm sure yours does too. Let's agree to disagree (stupidest idiom ever).
Yeah, I'm not here to prove a point as much as to express my opinion and I'm sure it's the same for you. In the end, it's just freedom of speech right?

Status
This thread has been locked.
You need to upgrade!
Our dark style is reserved for our Premium members. Upgrade here.