People including premium .Jars in plugin setups

Status
This thread has been locked.

Triggy

Deactivated
Reactions
Resources
There's this big deal about people selling server setups and including the jars of many premium plugins. A great example of a major plugin that has been resold many times is CrateKey by PickNChew While they do have an agreement that states that you cannot resell the jar, in reality sadly they don't really have much control over it. I've started this thread to discuss what I think should be done.

There should be no problem with the sellers including the config.yml's with the plugin, and all other configuration files, however the purchasers should have to purchase the .jar from Spigot themselves. I'd like to hear other stances on this situation. Please don't turn this into a thread were you argue how someone can moderate the reselling of their plugins.

ReliableSite: Dedicated Servers

NotSoBoop

New Developer
Premium
Reactions
Resources
I think developers could use a one-time code thing (Such as what BuyCraft uses). I do not actually know how to make it, but here is what BuyCraft did according to the source code found here (https://github.com/BuycraftPlugin/B...rc/net/buycraft/commands/BuycraftCommand.java)

Code:
  if (args[0].equalsIgnoreCase("secret")) {
                    if(plugin.getSettings().getBoolean("disable-secret-command") == false) {
                        if (args.length == 2) {
                            String secretKey = args[1];

if (commandSender instanceof Player) {
                                commandSender.sendMessage(Chat.header());
                                commandSender.sendMessage(Chat.seperator());
                                commandSender.sendMessage(Chat.seperator() + ChatColor.GREEN + "Server authenticated. Type /buycraft for confirmation.");
                                commandSender.sendMessage(Chat.footer());
                            }

plugin.getSettings().setString("secret", secretKey);
                            plugin.getApi().setApiKey(secretKey);

AuthenticateTask.call();

return true;
                        } else {
                            commandSender.sendMessage(Chat.seperator() + ChatColor.RED + "Please enter a valid secret key.");

return true;
                        }
                    } else {
                        commandSender.sendMessage(Chat.seperator() + ChatColor.RED + "Please change the key in settings.conf.");

return true;
                    }
                }

Satelliting

Nerdy Antique Entrepreneur
Premium
Reactions
Resources
I think they should be able to sell the plugin with their server. For example CrateKeys:
WILL NOT USE IT ON MORE THAN ONE NETWORK/SERVER. Contact me for additional licenses.
They are technically only using it for 1 network/server since they are giving it to someone else to use on theirs. Would love to hear other people's opinions though.

ConnorEfc

Graphics Designer - Skype: ConnorGraphics
Premium
Reactions
Resources
I think they should be able to sell the plugin with their server. For example CrateKeys:

They are technically only using it for 1 network/server since they are giving it to someone else to use on theirs. Would love to hear other people's opinions though.
Yeah, but not if they're selling 7 server setups and they only paid for the plugin one time.

I would say that selling a plugin as part of a one-off deal is fine as long as you don't go back and use that plugin for another project without buying it again.

Satelliting

Premium
Reactions
Resources
I think developers could use a one-time code thing (Such as what BuyCraft uses). I do not actually know how to make it, but here is what BuyCraft did according to the source code found here (https://github.com/BuycraftPlugin/B...rc/net/buycraft/commands/BuycraftCommand.java)

Code:
  if (args[0].equalsIgnoreCase("secret")) {
                    if(plugin.getSettings().getBoolean("disable-secret-command") == false) {
                        if (args.length == 2) {
                            String secretKey = args[1];

if (commandSender instanceof Player) {
                                commandSender.sendMessage(Chat.seperator() + ChatColor.GREEN + "Server authenticated. Type /buycraft for confirmation.");
                            }

plugin.getSettings().setString("secret", secretKey);
                            plugin.getApi().setApiKey(secretKey);

AuthenticateTask.call();

return true;
                        } else {
                            commandSender.sendMessage(Chat.seperator() + ChatColor.RED + "Please enter a valid secret key.");

return true;
                        }
                    } else {
                        commandSender.sendMessage(Chat.seperator() + ChatColor.RED + "Please change the key in settings.conf.");

return true;
                    }
                }
They would have to implement a secret key system much like Enjin & Buycraft. A website should totally come up with this for developers of Minecraft makers and use it as a selling platform. They could make a good bit of money off of it.

drtshock

is awesome.
Supreme
Reactions
Resources
They would have to implement a secret key system much like Enjin & Buycraft. A website should totally come up with this for developers of Minecraft makers and use it as a selling platform. They could make a good bit of money off of it.
Not really. Any security measures someone puts in place can easily be removed in a matter of minutes. Java is too easy to decompile and alter code. It's definitely not worth the effort (at least for me) to do this for how much money you'd 'save' if that's even the right word.

Satelliting

Premium
Reactions
Resources
Not really. Any security measures someone puts in place can easily be removed in a matter of minutes. Java is too easy to decompile and alter code. It's definitely not worth the effort (at least for me) to do this for how much money you'd 'save' if that's even the right word.

Yeah, but anything could help.

Triggy

Deactivated
Reactions
Resources
I'd have to agree with drtshock on this one. It doesn't seem like the effort would pay off. The only thing that we can do, is attempt to form a general consensus about it, and then have it enforced here.

Status
This thread has been locked.
You need to upgrade!
Our dark style is reserved for our Premium members. Upgrade here.