ULTIMATE guide to selling server domains!
I wrote this guide upon seeing the increasing number of domain sellers here on MCM.
So, you want to sell a server domain? Well, here are some general tips when it comes to buying/selling them:
Some of the terms you should know:
- Bid starts - relatively self explanatory, the price where an auction starts at.
- Bid increment - the minimum increment of the bid increase. For example, if one person bids $15, and the bid increment is $3, the next person has to put a minimum of $3 more (so $1. There is typically no maximum for bids.
- BIN - also the "buy it now" price. I'd typically suggest putting it relatively high if your domain is actively bid on.
- C/O or current offer - the current bid offer.
- Registrar - where the domain is registered.
- Date of expiration - the expiration date of a domain (keep in mind that domains that will expire soon will have much lower prices than those with a longer expiration date).
Domains typically gain value from three things:
- Traffic/playerbase - by far one of the most important factors. If your domain was previously used on a large server, and gets a lot of players, that could easily raise the price.
- Artwork - logos, banners, and the lot. Artwork makes it convenient for the buyer, because they don't need to commission a separate logo/banner afterwards. (BE SURE TO WATERMARK ANY LOGOS/ARTWORK PRIOR TO UPLOADING TO YOUR THREAD, as we get a lot of image stealing).
- Unique name - not as important, but if the domain you are selling is "unique," it could attract some attention.
- Redirect the domain to your profile page or the thread where you are selling the domain (would obviously be done after you post the thread).
- Include a screenshot of the domain from your domain registrar dashboard (doesn't really act as proof, since it could be easily photoshopped, but it does help confirm the expiration date and registrar).
- Generic .com/.net/.org - $8-12
- Domain with a logo (varies on quality) - $15-40
- Domain with banner - $15-20
- Domain with logo + banner - $30-50
- Domain with traffic (depends on base size) - $30-80
- Domain with traffic + all artwork - $50-100
If you have any questions, let me know!